Wednesday, October 14, 2009

October meeting

Our meeting went well. Pretty good turn-out. Discussed a problem property on Jameson. We also discussed poor lighting on Como between Dale and the park. Neighbors will be working with Kerry on a proposal to get money for new street lights, possibly a petition. Our next meeting will be Dec. 9th We will meet with other block clubs. It will be an informational meeting with food and beverages. We did this last year, it was a good time and met new people who share the same goal as us , to clean up our neighborhoods. Watch for more info. Joe

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Joe -

    It was nice to meet with everyone last night and great to find out about this blog.

    Re. 985 Jameson, I'm going to try to do some follow-up on what kind of resolution there was to the break-in earlier this summer. When I compared notes with the two women I talked to who live on Barrett Avenue, they said a break-in occurred and the suspects match the descriptions of the two kids who live at that house plus one of their buddies.

    Key things to know about that break-in:
    1) It was in daylight hours (4 or 5 p.m., not sure if it was Sat or Sun of Labor Day weekend).
    2) They stole a laptop and fancy purse, and they scrammed before the police got there. I think they spotted someone watching them and quickly ran out of there.

    It just seems like the same kids periodically breaking into different houses when they see an opportunity.

    Does anyone think it would be a good idea to send a letter to the parents with all of the neighbors' signatures on it to let them know we're onto it and that we don't want it in our neighborhood? Could we type up a letter and have everyone sign it at the next block club meeting? Just a thought, I'm wondering if anyone thinks it would be effective or worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized my last comment might have had a confusing timeline, so just to clarify...

    We had one attempted burglary on Jameson earlier this summer. Around that time there were separate ones on Como Place and another street around here. At that time the police actually went to 985 Jameson and found stolen goods and a court case was scheduled, but the kids are juveniles so it's hard to get information due to confidentiality laws.

    The Labor Day weekend one I was describing happened on Barrett St.

    I'm almost sure it was these same kids at most or all of these (you can never say for sure, but the descriptions seem to match up).

    I'm going to follow up with Kerry Antrim (the District 6 rep who was at our meeting last night) to get whatever details I can on how that was resolved. The kids are still around, I'm just wondering if one or both is on probation or something similar. Whatever the case is, they're still obviously very interested in breaking into houses around here, especially if they can gain easy access or if doors are unlocked.

    Unrelated: Someone on Como Place mentioned there was another guy running around trying to break into houses. He seems to be keeping it to that particular street kind of over by the railroad tracks, and he has run off whenever he noticed someone was home. We think he might live in one of the apartments on Como Place.

    If I have any of these details wrong, anyone who was at the meeting, please feel free to correct me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Henry and everyone,

    I'll also add that there was a burglary around the same time of the Jameson break-in at 78x Como Avenue. The owner is not sure what time it happened, but they broke in through the front door. Personally, I think it was pretty bold to go through the front door on busy Como Avenue!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going through the front door on busy Como ave. is nothing new. That's how this block club got started. One day in June a few years back I was home on vacation, upstairs sleeping, I had stayed up late. Then about 9:15 I heard a crash downstairs and figured the cat knocked something, but much to my surprize it was a wacked out looking guy with a pry bar in my house. I'm standing there in my undies with this clown for awhile, he bolted out the front door and I couldn't even grab a bat and give chase in broad day-light in my BVD's I don't know if we should write a letter to the parents, it could alienate them from any future discussion. I guess maybe we should wait and see what transpires from the first incident. There could be kids in my neighborhood who match the description of those guys. So maybe we shouldn't jump the gun on this. I had arranged for an Officer to be at our last meeting because of an alleged problem at another property on Jameson, only to find out it was nothing. If you suspect suspicious activity , please document it, keep a log, date time,description, persons and or vehicle. That would be helpful. Please try to attend our Drc. 9th meeting, same place , same time. Joe

    ReplyDelete